Tips for taking Blood Samples
Information about how to take blood samples for testing can be found in the PKU Handbook, chapter 5 page 40. The PKU Handbook can be found here.
If you are struggling to take a blood sample, the following advice might be helpful:
- Use a fresh lancet (the lancet can become more dull if it’s been reused)
- Routine warming of the hand and avoiding excessive massaging or squeezing of the fingers. With your hand hanging down gently massage your finger from palm down to promote blood flow.
- Test on the side of the finger and use a different finger each time to avoid calluses and scars forming.
- Avoid using an alcohol swab as it can dry and tighten the skin. Wash your hands in warm soapy water before testing.
- Pressing the lancet device firmly against the side of the finger before you press the button may help too.
If you still have issues or questions with taking blood samples, contact your clinic.
– Patient Pathways Care Co-Ordinator