IEM Food Grant
Purpose of the Grant
The Department of Health information page regarding the IEM grant states: “The Inborn Error of Metabolism (IEM) Programme provides monthly financial assistance to approved grantees with protein metabolic disorders to assist with the purchasing of low protein foods. The purpose of the IEM grant is to enable people with IEM to stay on strict diets and ensure long term health is maintained. Non-food items, such as medications and supplements, cannot be purchased with money provided under the Programme.” When discussing any aspect of the grant on various forums please be mindful of its purpose. Compliance with the diet and using the grant for its intended purpose is one of the ways we as a community can demonstrate to the government the ongoing need for the grant.
The Department of Health information clearly states that “dietary compliance” is a condition of receiving the IEM food grant. Patients diagnosed with Dihydropteridine Reductase (DHPR) deficiency, Hyperphenylalaninemia and Phenylketonuria (PKU) must reapply for the IEM grant every twelve months. This is to help monitor compliance. To ensure that you meet the reapplication criteria and can have your reapplication signed by your clinician we recommend the following:
- Attending clinic appointments as recommended by your clinician.
- Submitting regular blood samples as recommended by your clinician.
- Maintaining your diet and taking your supplement as suggested by your metabolic team. The recipe and product resources on our website can help you with ideas for keeping your diet interesting a varied.
- Attending MDDA functions such as cooking days, social functions and retreats can provide support, ideas and motivation if you are struggling with your diet.
- Contacting any of the people listed in the Link network on our website to get support and encouragement.
Payment Schedule 2018/2019
The IEM food grant payment for 2019 is due by the Friday of the first full week of each month. Payments due to arrive by:
7 December 2018, 2019 dates: 11 January, 8 February, 8 March, 5 April, 10 May, 7 June, 5 July, 9 August, 6 September, 11 October, 8 November, 6 December
If the payment has not arrived by the dates listed above please contact the Department of Health.
IEM Program Officer
Health Grants and Network Division
Department of Health
MDP 410, GPO Box 9848
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Phone: (02) 6289 8980
Email: [email protected]
How to lodge an application, enquiries, more information and FAQ visit the Department of Health: