The long term purpose and objectives of the association are to provide a credible, supportive service to all people affected by, and living with a dietary managed (Amino Acid) Inborn Error of Metabolism in Australia.
- Educate and advise government on Health policies and decisions effecting people with IEMs
- Consult with health professionals to influence improved care and clinical resources for IEMs
- Promote cooperation and consistency of care between state based IEM clinics, and facilitate a national framework of care.
- Provide well-informed support and advice relevant to the needs of people with an inborn error of metabolism and to the needs of interested parties.
- Assist consumers to improve their understanding of government policy and the availability of Inborn Errors of Metabolism grants and support resources and services.
- Promote national consistency in the treatment, care and management guidelines for IEMs
- Represent the needs of people with an IEM dietary condition and their families with governments and other organisations.
- Promote and encourage individuals to self-advocate in matters related to the condition.
Consultation, Representation and Networking
- Consult with and represent members on all matters relating to IEM health care policy and programs, and advise Government and key stakeholders accordingly.
- Represent the national IEM community through participation in health policy discussion papers and national advisory and consultation forums.
- Maintain strong links with health care professionals, IEM clinicians and research communities.
- Build relationships and share information with other health and support organisations with similar or complementary objectives.
- Encourage community service and health/wellbeing groups to be interested in the incidence of metabolic dietary disorders in the community.
- Collaborate with International alliances for achievement of greater global IEM care.
- Liaise with medical food suppliers within Australia to ensure variety and continuity of specialised IEM food options.
- Maintain our position as an effective national body representing the consumers and the carers of people with an inborn error of metabolism.
- Operate as a well-managed and accountable community based organisation.
- Continue to involve the IEM community in all aspects of planning and coordination of IEM support programmes, and encourage personal participation and contribution.
- Continue to maintain a diverse and active executive committee and office personnel team, seeking continuous training and development opportunities.